We make all of our stylish products with 100% organic cotton. Why?
1) 25% of the world’s insecticides are used to grow conventional cotton*
2) 10% of the world’s pesticides are used to grow conventional cotton and
cotton is one of the most pesticide dependent crops in the US**
3) 8,000 chemicals are used to turn raw material into bedding, towels,
garments, and other items that we buy every day.***
4) It takes over 1.5 pounds of chemicals to make a conventional sheet set
and approximately 2/3 of a pound of chemicals to make just one
5) Each year, 20,000 deaths occur in developing countries from poisoning by
agricultural pesticides used on crops, of which many, due to their toxicity,
can be attributed to cotton.****
If you didn’t know this, you are not alone. So many people are not aware that our traditional lifestyles are so riddled with toxicity. So many are also not aware that virtually anything can be made from recycled, all natural and organic materials, and to the high standards we are used to with conventional products. This is why HDN will persistently aim to unify the all natural and organic communities to help the eco-friendly consciousness become part of the mainstream consciousness.
Ultimately, we will re-define what comfort means today by bringing beautiful, functional items to the marketplace that will enhance our homes and our environmental awareness.
*The Soil Association, Allen Woodburn Associates, Ltd.
**Pesticide Action Network (PAN)
***The Soil Association, William McDonough and Dr Michael Braungart
****World Health Organization